Basu, Pranamita and Harichandan, Aiswarya (2009) Power System Stability Studies Using Matlab. BTech thesis.
The stability of an interconnected power system is its ability to return to normal or stable operation after having been subjected to some form of disturbance. With interconnected systems continually growing in size and extending over vast geographical regions, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to maintain synchronism between various parts of the power system.
• In our project we have studied the various types of stability- steady state stability, transient state stability and the swing equation and its solution using numerical methods using MATLAB and Simulink .
• We have presented the solution of swing equation for transient stability analysis using three different methods – Point-by-Point method, Modified Euler method and Runge-Kutta method.
• Modern power systems have many interconnected generating stations, each with several generators and many loads. So our study is not limited to one-machine system but we have also studied multi-machine stability.
• We study the small-signal performance of a machine connected to a large system through transmission lines. We gradually increase the model detail by accounting for the effects of the dynamics of the field circuit. We have analysed the small-signal performance using eigen value analysis.
• Further a more detailed transient stability analysis is done whereby the classical model is slightly improved upon by taking into account the effect of damping towards transient stability response. Characteristics of the various components of a power system during normal operating conditions and during disturbances have been examined, and effects on the overall system performance are analyzed.
|Item Type:||Thesis (BTech)|
|Uncontrolled Keywords:||Power System Stability, Swing Equation, Modified Euler's Method, R-K Method, Rotor Circuit Dynmics, Synchronous Machine|
|Subjects:||Engineering and Technology > Electrical Engineering > Power Systems|
|Divisions:||Engineering and Technology > Department of Electrical Engineering|
|Deposited By:||Pranamita Basu|
|Deposited On:||12 May 2009 16:13|
|Last Modified:||12 May 2009 16:13|
|Supervisor(s):||Panda, P C|
Repository Staff Only: item control page